9/28/15

Favorite Places In California

Hi all! I wanted to post about a few of my favorite places in California. My husband, Kyle and I have lived here now for a little over two and half years and there are a few places we both really love. If you guys like this, I'll make a part 2. 
Maybe for that, I could make it all about restaurants or places you have to really hunt for to find. As of now, these places are my top 5.
1. The TLC Chinese Theatre
This movie theater is pure magic. I'm not really into where it's located (Hollywood - people get crazy over there) but I really love the theater because of the architecture and the memorabilia from movies they keep in glass cases throughout the theater. This is the main theater for movie premieres and it's where the handprints are:


 I think it's fun to look at the costumes actors/actresses wore on set and wander around staring at the ceilings. I know, I'm weird. BUT the ceiling in the theater is crazy! So much detail! 
If you're in the area, stop by and see a movie. They have showtimes everyday and the popcorn is wonderful =) hahaha.. when is it not? Also, Michael Jackson's star is right there and his hand prints are in front of the theater - I'm a fan =)  

And the next stop...
2. Santa Monica Beach
         I love visiting this beach and others but I think I like this one best just because of awesome memories with friends and family. This was the first beach I came to when Kyle and I visited a few years ago and anytime we have family or friends come in town, we usually take them there. It's also right by Venice beach which is a bit more extreme - fire breathers, snake charmers, living statues (freak me the hell out but I love it) also the Freak Show was there but shut down last year. I like Santa Monica because it's a bit more laid back IF you go on the weekdays. The pier has a theme park, Mexican restaurant, a couple seafood restaurants and more. There's also a huge game room, stands for shopping and street performers singing. 
         Every time I go to the pier I've sat and watched the ocean and seen seals and dolphins pop up out of the water! I love marine life so this is always exciting!  
3. U2 - Best Korean BBQ in Los Angeles
Korean BBQ is probably my favorite food in LA. It always sounds good and it's all you can eat! Some things on the menu I really love are;
-Pork Belly
-Brisket
-Wine Infused Pork Neck Meat
-Chicken Bulgogi
-Spicy Chicken & Pork Bulgogi
-Shrimp
And the sides!
-Spicy Scallion & Onion Salad
-Sesame-Pepper Bean Sprouts
-Peppery Adamame
-Kimchi
-Chopstick-Ready Rice
        When you eat at a Korean BBQ restaurant, you cook your own food and the servers can help. The first few times I went to some restaurants with Kyle, we had no idea what we were doing. We accidently put sides on the grill that were not meant to be put on. I think we ate a few things before it was cooked properly and our waiters were sweet to us even though they watched and laughed before coming to the rescue. We laughed too so it was all good =D LOL! Another thing you're supposed to do when eating Korean food is pouring your friend's drink for them. This is out of respect and a Korean tradition, so Kyle and I will pour each other's drinks throughout the meal. 
4. Disneyland & Universal Studios
        Ok so I couldn't pick one - I love theme parks and these are my two favorite! Cheating! Sorry. Lol - I recently watched a documentary on Walt Disney and it made me want to go to Disneyland so bad! Kyle and I have been lucky enough to go a few times and it's always a blast! The first time we went, I didn't really know anything about the park. I didn't know there were different areas; Adventureland, Tomorrowland, Frontierland, Fantasyland, Storybook Land, New Orleans Square, Mickey's Toontown... it's incredible! Here's a map =) My favorite ride is the Haunted Mansion but my favorite area is Tomorrowland. I could ride the Haunted Mansion for hours and not get bored or tired of it! I also really love the theme park beside it, Disney's California Adventure. I recommend getting the park hopper ticket so you can go to both parks. Kyle and I like to bounce back and forth all day!
         In California adventure, they have even more rides, dining and shopping. Some of our favorite rides over there are Radiator Springs Racers (based on the Cars movie), California Screamin'Mickey's Fun Wheel and the amazing Twilight Zone Tower of Terror! I'm a huge Twilight Zone fan and one of my favorite writers for the show is Richard Matheson. Stepping into the Twilight Zone is an absolute thrill! 
         And of course, the other happiest place on earth; Universal Studios Hollywood. I used to work in Korea Town and lived in North Hollywood so taking the Metro red line was the perfect commute to and from work. It only took 20 minutes to get to point A to point B (driving would take over an hour) and it goes through Hollywood & Highland (right by the Chinese Theatre) and CityWalk where Universal Studios is! Sometimes after work, I would stop at either place and walk around because of wander lust or stop to shop. This was before I had a season pass to Universal Studios but I really loved walking around City Walk. 
Some rides I really love at Universal;
 
-Jurassic Park
-Transformers
-The Mummy
-Despicable Me
-The Simpsons
-The Tour - it's fun and they've just added the Fast & Furious ride!
         Kyle and I really like visiting Moe's Tavern for a Duff beer and we find it funny we're kind of, almost in Springfield again (both from Springfield, MO). 
         And The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is coming this spring! Hogwarts Castle! Ollivander's Wand Shop! Butter Beer! Flying on brooms! Hogsmeade! Honeydukes! Diagon Alley! & more! I'm so excited I can't concentrate on the rest of this blog post! AHHH!!!! 
5. Hollywood Forever Cemetery
       Imagine having a picnic in a cemetery and watching a movie - Brilliant! This one of our favorite spots and we've only gone once but they play movies every weekend. When Kyle and I went, we saw Vertigo by Alfred Hitchcock. I ended up wandering around the gravestones and the security didn't seem to care. I walked by Toto's grave from the Wizard of Oz, Johnny Ramone and a few others. This cemetery is so huge, it just keeps going. I've also been to a couple Forest Lawn's but this cemetery seemed even larger. Movie tickets are $35 and you can bring food, drinks, blankets, pillows and lawn chairs as long as they're low to the ground. Check it out if you're in the area! They've played so many movies and the next few are Donnie Darko, Back to the Future 1 & 2, The Rocky Horror Picture Show & Dawn of the Dead (1978). 
        I hope you guys liked this list! Let me know in the comments if you'd like to see more awesome places to visit in and around the LA area!
post signature

No comments: